At the initial Orientation Meeting, the members of the Local Art Selection Committee shall:
- Hear an overview of the Florida Art in State Buildings Program and its procedures;
- Review recent statewide and national developments in public art;
- Review the new project facility and its construction schedule;
- Discuss potential artwork sites and possible media and themes;
- Determine the deadline for artist entries; and
- Schedule the Image Review Meeting, if possible.
The ASB Administrator shall complete the first page of the Committee Meetings Report within 14 days after the meeting and maintain it for the agency’s records.
Methods of Solicitation
The Committee shall solicit artist entries via Invitation or Open Competition.
Based on consultation with the Visual Arts Representative(s), the Committee shall recommend artists to be contacted by the ASB Program Administrator and invited to submit images of their work for the Committee's review.
- Open Competition
To solicit artists via Open Competition, the Committee shall disseminate information about the project using various artist mailing lists which may include the Division's public art mailing list. The project may be advertised locally, statewide, regionally, nationally or internationally.
Artists shall meet at least two (2) of the following criteria to have their submissions presented to the Art Selection Committee. This ensures that artists have achieved a level of expertise and recognition in their profession. The ASB Administrator shall review all submissions and notify any artists that do not meet the required criteria.
- The artist has completed other public commissions on a similar scale.
- The artist has received awards, grants, or fellowships.
- The artist's works are included in public, private, corporate, or museum collections.
- The artist has participated in exhibitions at major museums or galleries.
Artist Submission Requirements
In addition to meeting the foregoing criteria, each artist shall submit the following.
- A brief letter of interest describing why his/her artwork is appropriate for the project and how the submitted images relate to the project requirements. Artwork that does not meet the project specifications shall not be considered; for example, when an artist submits images of sculpture when images of paintings were requested. Artists may also briefly describe their history, training, and experience.
- Current professional resume, with emphasis on public art experience.
- Ten (10) to 20 digital images of artworks .
- The Image Identification Sheet, which shall describe the submitted images, and be clearly labeled with the project number, project name, artist name, artist address, artist phone number, and artist email. For each image, the artist shall include a thumbnail of image, image number, title of work, date of work, medium of work, dimensions of work, price of work or amount of commission, and indication of artwork's availability for purchase (if applicable). For images of commissioned work, the artist may include a brief description or explanation.
Artists shall comply with these specific instructions in regard to their submissions. If the Committee receives an incorrect or incomplete submission, the ASB Administrator shall contact the artist and explain the issue. Artists shall be allowed to resubmit correctly, if this can be done in a reasonable time before the Image Review Meeting.